Monday, January 12, 2015

Top Reads of 2014 Plus Fake (and Ridiculous) Awards

"My kids can't eat awards." - Pitbull

I don't know about you, but I thought 2014 was a great year for reading. To be fair, most of the books I picked up weren't published in 2014, as I have a strong preference for paperbacks (weak wrists, amongst other made-up problems). Although a few were, usually ones that I've been impatiently waiting to see published.

This year I read 50 books (I know because Goodreads told me), and I wanted to share my favorites with you. In fact, I liked these books so much I've invented completely arbitrary awards to show my pleasure. So well done, books! (err, I mean, authors)




Amazing Adult Fiction:



11/23/63 by Stephen King

Award: Best Book by A Repeat Writer (aka I read everything you write, but not in a stalker way—I know you don’t like that, I read that book, too.)



Notable Non-Fiction:



Critical Care by Theresa Brown

Award: Most "Oh my gosh that is disgusting--how are humans even alive! I can't believe I'm reading this...please continue" moments.




Young-Adult Fantastic Fiction:



The Fault in Our Stars by John Greene

Award: Most Fun You’ll Have While Sobbing Uncontrollably




Powerful Poetry:



Tell Me by Kim Addonizio

Award: Most Pleasant Way to Get Your Heart Broken




Memorable Middle Grade:




Nightmares! By Jason Segel

Award: Spookiest without being 2spooky4me




Favorite Fantasy:



A Game of Thrones by George R R Martin

Award: Best Use of Beheadings




Best Book by A Friend:



How to Date Dead Guys by Ann Noser

Award: Creepiest Use of a Smiley Face, or, Most Likely to Make You Consider Necrophilia (I'm looking at you, Jake!). 





Moving Memoir:



The Art of Asking by Amanda Palmer

Award: Most inspiring to make me turn off Netflix and be a more productive person--after one more episode. 




Stupendous Series:



The Prydain Series by Lloyd Alexander

Award: I've already read this series 10 times and I still get goosebumps because Taran and Eilonwy forever.




Ten Additional Recommendations That I Enjoyed in 2014 For Various Reasons That are Too Long-Winded (kind of like this title...) to Easily Categorize Here:

Paint it Black by Janet Fitch
Almost Somewhere: Twenty-Eight Days on the John Muir Trail by Suzanne Roberts
Tiny Beautiful Things by Cheryl Strayed
The Maze Runner by James Dashner
Kitchen Confidential by Anthony Bourdain
It's Kind of a Funny Story by Ned Vizzini
Doll Bones by Holly Black
Pines by Blake Crouch
Good Enough to Eat by Stacey Ballis
Save Yourself by Kelly Braffet


No comments:

Post a Comment