Sunday, June 29, 2014

Jaycee Dugard’s Tomato Dumpling Recipe

“I don't believe in hate. To me it wastes too much time. People who hate waste so much of their life hating that they miss out on all the other stuff out here.” 


I read “A Stolen Life” when I was a community education and outreach volunteer speaker for an anti-sex trafficking of minors non-profit.  Although I’d read many books about sex-trafficking at the time, Dugard’s story was especially moving. I think her writing is so powerful because she is so brave and open in the way she shares her story. I really admire her courage, and the way she has transformed her life is nothing short of phenomenal. Her spirit is undeniable.  

I remember being surprised when I saw a recipe towards the back of her book. It didn’t really seem to fit in with her story, but then, after I thought about it, it was so reflective of her wonderful character. Most of her story is heartbreaking, but the end is full of hope. I think its such a genuine and thoughtful thing for her to want to share something she loves with her readers—in this case, a recipe she made with her grandmother.



So I tried it out. And honestly, I’m not sure it translated that well to gluten-free (due to the nature of the dough). But I will say this, it tastes much better than it looks! It was different than anything I’ve ever made, that’s for sure, and it was a fun experience.



My hope is that whatever brought you here, be it pinterest, twitter, facebook, google, whatever, that you will take a moment to learn more about the huge problem of sex-trafficking and sexual slavery, both domestically and internationally.  Here are some links to some great resources:

Jaycee's foundation, check it out!




(the organization I volunteered for)

No comments:

Post a Comment