Friday, October 26, 2012

Super Soft Sugar Cookies

That's the way the cookie crumbles...

Confession: Until this batch, I'd yet to have a gluten-free cookie that I loved. So many gluten-free cookies are dry, bitter, and fall apart the instant you bite into them.  So how did I come up with a recipe that finally worked? I changed my thinking--I morphed cookie and cake recipes to make the ultimate soft sugar cookie!

I brought these cookies to a volunteer meeting, and upon announcing they were gluten-free, I was meant with huge groans. Apparently I'm not the only one with a gluten-free cookie prejudice. But after the first kid took one, and proclaimed it was amazing, everyone dug in--and every cookie was eaten with gusto!



Ingredients:

2 3/4 cup gluten-free flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons xanthum gum
1 1/2 cup sugar
1 cup softened butter
1 egg
1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla

Directions:

Step 1: Preheat oven to 350. 

Step 2: In a small bowl, mix all dry ingredients (sugar, egg, flour, baking powder, baking soda, and xanthum gum).  

Step 3: In a large bowl, mix egg, vanilla, and softened butter. Slowly add the dry ingredients and stir in a little at a time. Stir until all ingredients are completely mixed.  Refrigerate for 30-60 minutes.

Step 4: With a ice cream scooper or spoon, put a 1-2 tablespoon sized dollop of dough on a baking sheet covered with tin foil. Space cookies 2 inches apart      

Step 5: Place cookies in oven and cook for 15 minutes. When cookies have cooled, top with your icing of choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment