Thursday, February 20, 2014

Black Bean and Corn Vegan Chili

"Nothing will benefit human health and increase the chances of survival of life on Earth as much as the evolution to a vegetarian diet." - Albert Einstein 



Vegan chili! Yum yum yum. As you can see, the quest to make more vegan dishes continues. Although, I have a confession to make. I've outlined this recipe as vegan, but I did add a little sour cream at the end...

(Remember this? Oh, how I miss Sex and the City!)

Making great vegan recipes is hard. I never realized how much I rely on meat and dairy for flavoring my dishes. I will admit, this one was very good vegan, but sour cream just gave it that extra something. 

I don't know. I'd love more tips on how to create delicious vegan foods. I'm getting the hang of it, but need more inspiration. 

Anyway, this recipe is perfect for the winter time, even though in California winter is like, long sleeve weather.  Maybe a decorative scarf. One quick sidenote: I'M SO GLAD I GOT OUT OF MINNESOTA.

Here is a picture from last year, taken from my car, which I was stuck in for FOUR HOURS on the highway, completely snowed in. And before you lecture me on the dangers of driving during a blizzard (I KNOW. I just said I was from MN!), I was trying to get to the hospital where we were short-staffed. Still, big mistake. 

Even though I live in not-hell now, and am completely warm and sunny today, the horrible snowstorm pictures popping up on my facebook are enough to make me crave something hot for my belly. So here it is. High-protein vegan chili, with a vegetarian alternative. Enjoy!




Ingredients:
1 onion, diced
2 cups cooked black beans
1 can fire roasted diced tomatoes
1 can corn
2 tablespoons butter
1 cup cooked quinoa
16 oz salsa verde
2 teaspoons chili powder
¼ teaspoon cumin
1 tablespoon cilantro (fresh and torn)

Sour cream for topping (if making the non-vegan version)

Directions:

Step 1: In a small skillet, heat butter on med/low until melted. Add onions and cook for 5 minutes. Set aside.

Step 2: In a large pot on low heat, add black beans, tomatoes and corn (NOT strained), cooked quinoa, salsa verde, and onions. Mix well, then add chili powder, cumin, and cilantro. Increase heat until chili is boiling. Then reduce to simmer and leave, covered, for 30 minutes. Serve hot!

Serves 5-8. 

(
(ahhhh, that's better!)

No comments:

Post a Comment