Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Truffle Fries Street-Food Style

"In a lot of ways I think food is starting to take the place in culture that rock and roll took 30 years ago, in that eating has become incredibly political. And just as the street has always dictated fashions on music and other things, its starting to happen that way in food." - Jonathan Gold



I went to eat street food in San Francisco with co-workers a few weeks ago and one of the girls got truffle fries. This was the first time I'd heard of such a thing, and they were incredible. I decided I had to make them for myself.

After searching around online to figure out what kind of truffle oil to buy, I found that truffle oil is actually a pretty controversial thing (as far as food goes, at least haha). There are a lot of purists out there who think truffle oil is an abomination because it discourages people from using actual truffles, and tastes far less superior to the real deal.

But if you've been reading my blog for a while, or know me in person, you probably know my opinion before I even knew I had one on this. Who cares! If it tastes delicious, if its easy, if it works for you, then ignore the elitists. Food should be fun. Truffle oil fries are fun. End of controversy, in my opinion at least (and as my spouse will tell you, I'm always right)!

So, to all you stuck up chefs, smirk at my lowly truffle oil if you must. I'll be too busy stuffing my face with these amazing fries to notice!

Ingredients:
3 russet potatoes
4 tablespoons white truffle oil
1 tablespoon chopped parsley
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1 tablespoon fresh grated Parmesan

Coarse salt

Directions:

 Step 1: Peel your potatoes (my least favorite step!). Then cut to your ideal fry size (this will effect cooking time—I did mine traditional fry size). Soak cut fries in cold water for one hour.

Step 2: Preheat oven to 425F. In a small bowl, combine truffle oil, garlic, and parsley. Pat dry the potatoes and put them in a large bowl. Toss potatoes and oil mixture until every fry is coated.

Step 3: Lay fries out evenly on a cookie sheet (I had to use two!). Cook for 25 minutes, then flip. Cook for an additional 25 minutes, then take fries out of the oven. Sprinkle with freshly grated Parmesan and coarse salt. Crank your oven up to 500F and cook for an additional five minutes. Let cool for a few minutes and enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment