Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Succulent Sour Cream and Onion Pork Chops

"Necessity is the mother of invention."

My dinner plans fell through last night, so I found myself gazing into my half empty refrigerator, unsure of what to make.  I realized that I had pork chops that were nearing the end of their shelf life, so I googled delicious pork chops. I discovered that pork chops and sour cream was a popular combo. My sour cream was close to going bad as well. Score! (No, I don't usually celebrate expiring milk products, but I hate wasting food haha) After reading through a few recipes to get ideas, I came up with this delicious recipe. It's one of my new favorites!



 Ingredients:
 
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon crushed garlic
1 large yellow onion (chopped)
1 lb bone-out pork chops
1 cup chicken broth
1 tablespoon fresh parsley (chopped)
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/4 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
3/4 cup light sour cream
1 tablespoon earth balance (or butter, if you’re feeling naughty!)

Directions:

Step 1: Cook onions, garlic (crushed and minced) in 2 tablespoons olive oil for 5 minutes. Add the pork chops and cook an additional 8 minutes, turning half way through.

Step 2: Add to the pork chops 1 cup chicken broth, paprika, fresh parsley, salt, pepper, and onion powder.  Bring broth to a boil, cook for 2 minutes, then reduce heat to medium low and cover. Cook for 15 minutes, then turn the chops and stir the onions. Cook an additional 10 minutes.  

Step 3: Uncover mixture and add sour cream and earth balance (or butter), stirring thoroughly. Let simmer, uncovered, for 3 minutes.  Enjoy!

Serves 4.  Tastes great over jasmine rice or gluten-free noodles.

2 comments:

  1. I'm very impressed by your new-found culinary achievements. Your creations look amazing. Want that crock pot back now ;-)
    Love you, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! One new skill at a time lol

    ReplyDelete