Sunday, August 19, 2012

Sweet Basil and Garlic Chicken

“A good cook is like a sorceress who dispenses happiness.” - Elsa Schiaparelli

I was about to make sweet and sour chicken when I realized that I didn't have pineapple juice. Crap! I had someone coming over for dinner and I didn't have time to run out to the store for that essential item. So I tore through my cupboards, threw ingredients into the pan, and hoped for the best. And the best is what I got! I made this exact same chicken for my fiance the next day, it was that good.


Ingredients:

1 lb chicken breast strips
1 tablespoon grapeseed oil
1/2 tablespoon minced garlic
1 cup chicken broth
1/2 tablespoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon crushed garlic
1 tablespoon butter
1/4 teaspoon dried sweet basil
1/4 teaspoon seasoned salt
2 chopped green onions (optional)

Directions:

Step 1: In a large pan, sautee the garlic and grapeseed oil for 2 minutes on medium-high heat.

Step 2: Add chicken broth, onion powder, crushed garlic, butter, basil, and seasoned salt to the pan. Cook on high for 5 minutes. Add  the chicken to the pan and cook on medium heat for 10 minutes, turning twice.

Step 3: Turn heat to simmer and cook an additional 10 minutes so the chicken can fully absorb the flavor. (Add optional green onions here).  If your sauce is runny at this point, cook on high an additional 2-3 minutes to thicken, but make sure you take the chicken out first so you don't overcook.

Note: If you use full chicken breasts and not strips be sure to adjust the cook time accordingly. Also, the first time I made this I added chopped green onions, which tasted really good, but I ran out for the second batch. I think I prefer it without only because it didn't change the flavor significantly and it was extra work--but it does look prettier, so not a bad ingredient to add when serving guests! (2 scallions, chopped, added during the simmer step)

Serves 2.

No comments:

Post a Comment